Scrappy, young start-up is looking to hire freelance editors who will write and edit news stories for use on our digital platform. Responsibilities:
QR Code Link to This Post
- Be socially informed and perceptive, up-to-date and in tune daily with international and national trends and/or specialized knowledge of topics related to regions of the world. These sensibilities should inform your selection of engaging stories for our audience.
- Write simple, straightforward, but engaging copy that speaks to a broad audience of news consumers across the social and political spectrum - this is *not* op-ed work.
- Provide "one-touch" editing, working with a level of accuracy that allows immediate use of content.
- Work collaboratively as necessary. Be good at taking constructive feedback and then implementing that feedback.
- Be comfortable working with a scrappy start-up, which means we sometimes "build the plane as we fly it," but this should never come at the expense of our audience or the quality of our work.
- Ability to commit to a consistent schedule of no more than approximately 3 hours per week, but be reliable on the days and hours to which we agree.
- Be reliable over email/text/phone as necessary for basic logistics and coordination of work.
Qualifications Requirements include:
- Bachelor's degree or higher in journalism, communications or related field, or equivalent experience
- Superior skills writing copy that combines news judgment, knowledge, and good taste
- Understand basic legal considerations of editorial/copy work
- Demonstrated ability to keep deadlines and maintain quality
- Comfort with Google Docs, search engines and social media tools
- Versatile and adaptable to a broad array of subject areas of news coverage
To be considered, please send a resume and any available work samples.