The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The McBurney YMCA is seeking a Sports Instructor who, under the supervision of the Sports Coordinator, will play a critical role in providing sports enhancement and physical recreation in sports programs and the Y Afterschool program, including Holiday Camps. The Sports Instructor will be responsible for providing a safe and positive environment for school-aged children, to provide opportunities for learning, interaction, and team work. Specifically, the Sports Instructor will prepare and provide age-appropriate sports instruction for grades K-5th in Y Afterschool.
• Ensure the health, safety and well-being of participants in the program by providing appropriate supervision at all times.
• Plan and implement meaningful sports activities and special events that are age-appropriate, exciting, challenging, and values-based.
• Teach participants the fundamentals of sports activities and team work, including activities that build their level of skill and confidence.
• Coordinate and present a culminating performance at the end of the program cycle, if applicable.
• Work cooperatively with Afterschool Counselors, professional staff, teachers, and other program and school staff.
• Promote an inclusive, welcoming, and respectful environment that embraces the diversity of all participants.
• Create and maintain a strength-based, youth-focused atmosphere that is consistent and sensitive to the needs of participants with learning, emotional, or behavioral differences.
• Maintain accurate program documentation (attendance, sign in/out forms, behavior reports, incident reports, and accident reports, as appropriate).
• Serve as a positive role model for participants.
• Work with the Site Coordinator to secure and maintain all equipment or supplies needed for the Y Afterschool Program.
• Understand and communicate the YMCA’s core values and the goals of the Y Afterschool Program to participants and caregivers.
• Develop and maintain positive relationships with parents/guardians through regular communication about their child’s strengths and areas of growth.
• Prepare the learning environment, lessons, and necessary supplies for sports activities.
• Actively participate in training sessions, designated meetings, and special events.
• Adhere to all Department of Health, YMCA of Greater New York, and funder standards, expectations, and regulations.
• High School diploma or equivalent. College credits and formal education in sports/physical education preferred.
• Minimum of two years of experience working with youth, specifically in the area of sports facilitation.
• Formal certification in sports/physical education required.
• Knowledge of youth development stages.
• Excellent verbal communication skills.
• Must be available to work Tuesdays, Wednesdays & Thursdays, 3:00 P.M. – 5:00 P.M.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity. If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please forward your cover letter and resume with subject line “Sports Instructor” via email or to:
Attn.: Jessica Diaz
125 West 14th Street
New York, NY 10011
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities
New York City’s YMCA | WHERE THERE'S A Y, THERE'S A WAY
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers