The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The McBurney YMCA is seeking a Gymnastics Instructor who will be responsible for working with children/teens to promote the enjoyment of gymnastics activities while improving physical competence, developing confidence and teaching basic skill development.
• Provide a fun, safe and positive experience for all participants.
• Demonstrate strong service and hospitality with all constituents including, but not limited to, program participants and parents/guardians.
• Create an all-inclusive and supportive learning environment.
• Teach progressive lessons and provide opportunities to demonstrate learned skills.
• Encourage a lifetime participation in Gymnastics and physical activity.
• Work with the supervisor to develop program objectives and goals for each program session.
• Create written lesson plans that are age-appropriate and progressive, for the program session, as needed.
• Provide supervision of the participants in line with YMCA program standards and guidelines.
• Modify lesson plans and instruction to meet the needs of participants.
• Emphasize teamwork and sportsmanship.
• Communicate with parents/guardians regarding the progress of their child/teen and registration for the next session, and additional YMCA opportunities that can benefit them or their child/teen.
• Ensure all equipment is age-appropriate, safe and in proper working condition. This includes conducting monthly equipment safety checks.
• Work with the Supervisor to develop and lead program promotion and recruitment efforts.
• Provide direction to volunteers or Gymnastics Assistants who are supporting the program, as needed.
• Maintain a thorough knowledge of Branch emergency procedures and take appropriate actions for emergency situations.
• Ensure the cleanliness of program space during all activities.
• Inform the Supervisor on duty regarding any incident reports that need to be filled out.
• Actively participate in designated meetings, training sessions and special events.
• High School diploma or equivalent.
• Minimum of one year of experience teaching children/teens gymnastics in a structured setting.
• Knowledge of youth development stages.
• Excellent verbal communication skills with members of all ages.
• Current First Aid / CPR certifications.
• CDC HEADS UP Concussion in Youth Sports certificate (must receive within 30 days of start date).
• Must complete YMCA Coaching 101 Training within 90 days of start date.
• Must be available to work Thursdays, 3:15 P.M. – 5:45 P.M., & Saturdays, 9:30 A.M. – 12:45 P.M.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity. If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please forward your cover letter and resume with subject line “Sports Instructor - Gymnastics” via email or to:
Attn.: Jessica Diaz
125 West 14th Street
New York, NY 10011
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities
New York City’s YMCA | WHERE THERE'S A Y, THERE'S A WAY
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers