compensation: $20 per hour employment type: part-time
QR Code Link to This Post
We are passionate about educating the next generation and are looking for exceptional people to join our team.
***Role & Responsibilities***
The main focus of the role will be teaching lessons to elementary, middle and high school students, assessing their needs and helping students develop an understanding of the material, and providing motivation for the students to keep exploring STEM subjects and learning.
We are looking for someone who is interested in developing modules to teach in ONE or more the following areas of coding/technology:
- Arduino/electronics: robotics, coding, wearable-tech, Arduino programming, Raspberry Pi
- Mobile development (Swift)
- Other coding games/teaching platforms: Minecraft, Swift Playground, Scratchjr/Scratch, Kodable, Google CS First, Codeacademy, etc.
There are opportunities to teach at various age levels: elementary, middle and high school students.
Throughout the position, you'll be asked to work closely with the leadership team. This is a high-collaboration environment where creative thinkers and hard workers can shine. Most importantly, you'll be embarking on a mission to change the way students learn.
These teaching positions are currently part-time in Brooklyn, NY during after-school and weekends. Your teaching schedule is flexible, as you choose which classes you want to sign up for. However, our classes are only hosted at these times during the week:
Monday through Friday:
- 3:00 pm to 6:30 pm
- 10:00 am to 1:30 pm
If you cannot teach during any of these time slots, please do not apply for the position.
- A fun and engaging educator with the ability to transmit that passion to others (young people)
- An excellent communicator of complex and abstract concepts
- You are eager to shape the skills, minds, and trajectories of the next generation
- You are the person that your colleagues naturally gravitate to when they are trying to figure something out
- Tech savvy and fundamentals gained through experience in school, math or related discipline or equivalent industry experience
- Flexible schedule, but the ability to commit to teaching on a consistent basis
- Capacity to understand students and make them feel understood
- Are comfortable with collaboration with diverse groups, and fast decision-making
- Experience working with youth
- If you are a current or former elementary/secondary teacher, also a plus, but not required
- Must agree to and pass a criminal background check and complete instructor training within a timely manner
- Ability to communicate complex concepts to general audiences
- Excellent interpersonal skills: high energy, friendly, helpful and knowledgeable
- Patience with others
- Team player
- You are empathetic with a keen ability to read people. You have a sense of both individual motivations and the needs of others
- You have a low ego and a roll-up-your-sleeves approach to work. You possess humility and grit, willing to take on both "lower level" and "higher level" projects based on what needs to be done. The phrase "that's not my job" is not something you would say
***What We Offer***
- We're socially responsible when it comes to compensation, providing more than nationally recognized instruction companies
- Flexible work schedule
- The opportunity to join a social venture organization with an opportunity to work with us long-term
If you're interested, email us with your resume and tell us about yourself!
About Blue Studios
Founded by an award-winning former college professor and a former curriculum designer for General Assembly, Blue Studios provides parents with best STEM programs for your kids on your schedule. They have a number of new class offerings in 2019, plus early bird pricing on STEM summer camps are available.
The husband-wife team created Blue Studios to have the same flexibility as a SoulCycle where parents can download an app to choose the classes and times that work best for their schedule. Classes are offered 6-days a week after school and weekend, with daily after-school pickup options as well. Children can experience the full range of STEM--from botany to microbiology, to aerospace engineering, you name it. They even have a coding pathway, to take students from zero experience in coding to being able to prepare for the AP Computer Science examination.
"We've seen the 'Bill Nye the Science Guy' model, where you have a headliner scientist or engineer who holds this mysterious knowledge, and hopefully the knowledge will rub off on you if you have enough interactions with this individual," says Kelley Cambry, co-founder and CEO of Blue Studios. "We wanted to completely flip this model, where kids feel like they're the scientist or engineer. We want our students to develop a strong STEM identity. Students leave Blue Studios knowing that they have the answers and solutions to our world's problems, and our STEM instructors are there to guide them through the process."
In addition to recruiting the best instructors to engage your child in a variety of hands-on STEM experiences, Blue Studios instructors are engineers at companies like Disney, Twitter, and Game Development startup companies. We currently have students who attend PS 261, International School of Brooklyn, PS. 38, and many more throughout Brooklyn.
Their membership model provides affordable price entry points that fit every budget, starting at $50 per month to $450 per month. Check out their website www.bluestudios.io for more information.