compensation: Salary range is $70-82K, commensurate with the candidate's experience and skills. Benefits include comprehensive health (medical, dental, vision and FSA), and matched retirement savings, and a sabbatical program. employment type: full-time non-profit organization
QR Code Link to This Post
Transgender Law Center's Media Relations Manager will work at the heart of a movement of transgender people and allies collaborating to create a world where we are all free to define ourselves and our futures. We are looking for a motivated and mission-oriented person with a proven track record of securing media placements nationally and deep knowledge of and commitment to transgender and gender nonconforming (TGNC) communities and racial justice.
Based in TLC's New York office, this position will work with the Director of Communications in Oakland to craft and execute communications strategies in support of TLC's legal and programmatic work; secure coverage advancing TLC's strategic priorities; and elevate TLC's profile as the largest national trans-led organization.
• Serve as TLC's primary point of contact with journalists, including pitching, scheduling interviews, and providing background
• Serve as media spokesperson as necessary
• Organize press conferences and calls as necessary
• Prepare and distribute press releases, media advisories, and other press materials
• Deepen and expand TLC's existing relationships with broadcast, print, and online editors, producers, and reporters
• Maintain organizational profile in media and lead efforts to secure coverage advancing TLC's strategic priorities
• Support in the development of organizational messaging and talking points
• Educate members of the media on transgender communities and best practices for reporting on issues impacting trans people
• Place and, as needed, draft op-eds and letters to the editor
• Provide ongoing media training and interview prep to TLC staff
•Track, coordinate with, and prep community spokespeople connected to TLC through the organization's programs and storytelling work
• Manage TLC's press database, including maintaining relevant and up-to-date press lists by issue area and media market
• Track media coverage of the organization and issues we work on
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
• Proven ability to communicate, engage, and build relationships with media representatives that demonstrates a commitment to racial, economic, and gender justice, and an understanding of the communities TLC represents
• 3-5 years' related experience in media relations, journalism, or related field
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Knowledge of public relations software
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially Word
• Ability to sort multiple priorities and respond to the needs of a fast-paced work environment
• Experience working in teams with people from a variety of racial, ethnic, socioeconomic, educational, religious, sexual, gender, and generational backgrounds
• Strong level of emotional intelligence
• Ability and willingness to travel
• Bilingual (English/Spanish) strongly preferred
• Experience with communications related to litigation a plus
SALARY & BENEFITS
Salary range is $70-82K, commensurate with the candidate's experience and skills. Benefits include comprehensive health (medical, dental, vision and FSA), and matched retirement savings, and a sabbatical program.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Transgender Law Center is proud to be an affirmative action employer. People of color, women, persons with disabilities, and persons who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or intersex are particularly urged to apply.
For more information about Transgender Law Center please visit: www.transgenderlawcenter.org.
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers
OK to highlight this job opening for persons with disabilities